Saturday 8 February 2014

Dare to share!

I know I'm in very real danger of making you roll your eyes and shout 'make up your bloody mind!' at the screen this week but I can't help it. This blog is supposed to be about me and my writing journey so I think it is only fair that I tell you the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

So last Saturday, less than an hour after publishing 'the last post' I pottered up to Norwich to meet my highly valued expert reader Claire. As well as reading the novel I am currently writing (The Cherry Tree Cafe), she has also now read my first (When the Country Calls) and ... she absolutely loved it! Not only did she love it, but another reader also came back a couple of days ago with the same opinion!

I took a deep breath, quizzed them with the same questions, made note of a couple of minor tweaks and decided that no, this one would not be consigned to the memory stick after all. One of the things I had been worried about was that the major plot twist was too obvious. However neither reader opinion suggested that; in fact they were thoroughly shocked/surprised by how the plot unfolded and I realised that just because I, the writer knew where the story was heading, I had done enough to keep them guessing until the crucial moment! Yay!

Having decided that I am not going to shelve WTCC I will now, as long as I can complete them both in time, have the choice of two manuscripts to choose from when making my submission to the RNA NWS. I know this 'will she, won't she' story line has gone back and forth over the last few months and probably driven you to distraction, so I hope you will take the sickly, sweet Spring themed kitten image as an adequate apology and pop back next week to see what I have been up to!

H-J
'Im sorry'


No comments:

Post a Comment