Wednesday 18 March 2015

Notes made on a train...


Books and The City Spring Blogger Evening

Is it really possible that I'm sitting on the train winding my way back to Norfolk and the first ever, so eagerly anticipated Books and The City Spring Blogger Evening is over already? Judging by the grey bags and piles of fabulous fiction spread across the table I'm guessing it is, but I can hardly believe it.

Ever since I noted the date in my diary and was invited to sit on the panel I've been wondering. Would this be the moment...Would this be the day that the overwhelming news was going to finally sink in and that I would believe that I am soon to be a published author.

There has never been any denying that I have fallen on my feet. That I have the best editor in Clare Hey, the best go-to girl in Sarah-Jade Virtue and the friendliest and most approachable publishing team on the planet at Books and The City. None of that has ever been in question. However, I've been waiting for something to happen, some light bulb moment that would put the rubber stamp on all that has happened during the last few months and confirm that my dream is finally coming true.

And yes, tonight was that moment. I watched quietly as the wonderfully supportive book bloggers and as many new friends took their seats. And that was it, that was the moment. I was watching. I wasn't following on taking my seat with them. Instead I was running through the extract I was going to read, I was listening to S-J as she took us through the running order and then I was filing in with Jane Costello, Iona Grey, Milly Johnson and Andy Jones and taking my seat behind the table with them, not to watch them.



I had fully expected to feel terrified, but I wasn't. I had thought I wouldn't be able to think of a single sensible thing to say but I screwed my courage to the sticking place and loved every second.

It was an absolute joy to share my beloved Cherry Tree Cafe and a total thrill to receive such a warm and friendly welcome from the blogging community, many of whom I already felt I knew, courtesy of the joys of social media.



Needless to say we hadn't left the building by 8.30pm. The party, the welcome and the excitement lasted much longer. In fact it is now 11.02pm and I feel as if the party is going to go on in my head for a fair while yet so I just want to take this moment to say thank you again to the entire Books and The City Team, the other authors, (including the wonderful Rosie Blake) and of course you fabulous book bloggers who do such great things for us authors, old and new alike.

H x

4 comments:

  1. Wow! What a wonderful description, Heidi. I'm so glad it all went so well. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susanna. It was an amazing event. Not only was it wonderful being able to share some of my beloved Cherry Tree, but also meeting so many of the fabulous book bloggers I have only previously known through Twitter. Hope I get to do it again!

      Delete
  2. Really enjoyed your reading and have since read the extra chapters in our sampler. Also have pre ordered too. You did really well and the girls and I were very proud of you xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary. I really appreciate all the support you have given me since we met. I'm actually thinking of supplying you with pom poms as you are one of my biggest cheerleaders! Thank you again my sweet.

      Delete