Cats sleep anywhere, any table, any chair.
Top of piano, window-ledge, in the middle, on the edge.
Open draw, empty shoe, anybody's lap will do.
Fitted in a cardboard box, in the cupboard with your frocks.
Anywhere! They don't care! Cats sleep anywhere.
Eleanor Farjeon (1881 - 1965)
See what I mean? Yes, I thought you might. With two books out this year and a deadline for another looming large on the horizon I have had to adapt. And fast. Long gone on are the days when I used to sit at the dining table and only the dining table when inspiration struck. These days I've mastered the art of pinning down the words pretty much anywhere and I'm rather proud of that!
Here are my (current) top 5 writing spots
- On the train to and from fabulous author events in The Big City, especially if I've managed to bag a window seat and a table
- In my car during my lunch break at work - in the Summer I'll be dehydrated with the windows opens, in Winter I'll be sporting a fleece and fingerless gloves
- On the sofa - my favoured spot between 6 & 7.20 am. A kind of halfway house between my nice warm bed and a chair at the dining table
- At the head of the dining table in the evenings when I'm typing up the longhand I've written during the day and on designated writing days. (All serious onscreen editing happens here)
- A cafe or the Virgin Lounge in Norwich - yes it is busy but no one is hassling me about what time dinner will be or where the car keys are
I'd love to know where you work best so do feel free leave a comment, top tip or even a Tweet. Wishing you all a wonderfully productive week!