Thursday 30 November 2017

My #festivefeeling go-to reads

My TBR pile is positively groaning from October onwards. Not only do I have wonderful authors and publishers now sending me wonderful Christmas themed books to read and talk about on social media, I also have the bookshop and online shelves calling me with all manner of sparkly loveliness in the form of glittering covers and tempting titles.

However, there is always, always room on the teetering pile for my three go-to festive reads! Christmas simply wouldn't be Christmas without visiting these three titles and I would love to know if you have any books you re-visit during this most magical time of year and if they are the same as mine! Do let me know here or on social media using the hashtag #festivefeeling


A Christmas Carol
by
Charles Dickens


I've lost track of the number of years I've been visiting Mr Scrooge and willing him to get his act together before anything ghastly befalls dear Tiny Tim. Not only do I love the story which is a poignant reminder for us to do good throughout the whole year, but especially during this increasingly materialistic season, but I'm also in love with the actual story-telling. There are at least two occasions when Dickens speaks directly to us and I can imagine that he is indeed standing right by my side as I am reading. What a thrill, even if I do end up with goose bumps! I'm going to be heading to the cinema this weekend to watch The Man Who Invented Christmas which looks great fun. Fingers crossed it will enhance my enjoyment of this fabulous festive tale.


Village Christmas
by
Miss Read



I was in my early twenties when I was first introduced to the gentle tales of village and country life from Miss Read by my Nan. She had a huge pile of ancient penguin editions and I devoured one after the after and have ever since carried around a list of titles I am missing should I happen to find some in a second-hand store or charity shop. Village Christmas is a tiny book with a massive heart and makes the perfect travel companion in the run up to the big day!


The Night Before Christmas
by
Clement C Moore


Truth be told, I gave this book to my husband in the run up to Christmas years ago, but as a family joke rather than anything else. He's a huge fan of Clark Griswold and I thought it would be fun to stick a Santa hat on my dear hearts head and have him recite the tale to us as Clark does to his family in the film, however, the plan backfired. My husband did read the book, with feeling, and we all sat transfixed to listen and we have done every Christmas Eve since and so, another Swain festive family tradition was somewhat unexpectedly born!

I hope you have enjoyed reading all about my go-to festive reads. Do remember to let me know if you have any and if you get in touch via social media use the hashtag #festivefeeling to keep the chat going!

H x







No comments:

Post a Comment