Wednesday 31 January 2018

Welcoming Kate Field to the blog

This week I am delighted to welcome Kate Field to the blog to tell all about her latest release, The Truth About You, Me and Us and the inspiration behind it.


All about the book...

Sometimes the hardest person to be honest with is yourself…
 Five years ago Helen Walters walked out on her ‘perfect’ life with the ‘perfect’ man. Wealthy, glamorous and bored, she longed for something more.
 Now a talented artist with a small business, Helen creates crazy patchwork crafts to support her young daughter, Megan. Penniless, content and single, she is almost unrecognisable.
 But when her past unexpectedly collides with her new life, Helen finds herself torn. She knows what the easiest choice is, but is it what she wants?

 Buy the book...


 Find Kate on social media...

Twitter: @katehaswords

The inspiration for the book

 When I was a teenager, before the novel-writing bug took hold, I spent many hours working on cross stitch projects. I started off with simple cushions, adding the stitches to a printed canvas, and with experience moved on to more complicated pieces on a blank canvas where even though I was following instructions, every stitch had to be counted out to make sure it was in the right place. My favourite piece was this peacock sampler, created from a kit; you can’t tell from the picture, but I had to learn many new stitches to complete it, and it features hundreds of tiny beads that had to be sewn on individually. It kept me quiet for months!


Every year I would attend the Knitting and Stitching show at the G-MEX in Manchester with my mum, and one year I came across a book called Crazy Patchwork by Janet Haigh. I hadn’t heard of crazy patchwork before: it’s much less formal than traditional patchwork, and all sorts of random patches can be sewn together in any pattern and joined with ornate embroidery. I bought the book and started collecting fabric scraps, intending to give it a go one day. 


Unfortunately that day still hasn’t come, but when I started writing The Truth About You, Me and Us, I decided that my heroine, Helen, would be a crazy patchwork artist. Helen is much cleverer than I am, and she designs pieces herself rather than following kits. I particularly love the idea of the Kindle covers that she makes – I have definitely added them to my ‘one day’ list!

No comments:

Post a Comment