Wednesday 16 May 2018

Welcoming Rosie Hendry

As you may recall my book of 2017 was the East End Angels by lovely Rosie Hendry. World War 2 sagas aren't my usual go-to reads but Rosie has created a wonderful cast of characters and such a compelling plot that I was drawn in from the first sentence. Suffice to say, the three friends have quickly found their way under my skin and into my heart.


The second book of the series, Secrets of the East End Angels is out now and it is every bit as emotional and entertaining. I can't recommend it highly enough!


Today I am delighted to welcome Rosie back to tell us all about her newest venture, Home From Home...

Writing is a bit like cooking, you need to assemble the ingredients that you want to use and then somehow mix them together to form your story. When I started to think about writing “A Home from Home” I knew some of the things that I wanted to include, it had to be set in my home county of Norfolk, that was important because I know it well and love it, and I wanted it to take place during WW2 because I enjoy writing about that period.

A large dose of family history went into the mixing pot as well, from family names, the farm where my mother grew up and my dad’s experiences as a boy in wartime Norfolk. Next, I added land girls, evacuees, Italian POWs and GIs and combined them with real-life events that I’d read about in the archive of the Imperial War Museum in London and re-enactments from the BBC series Wartime Farm.

Then I let my imagination loose and eventually a story grew out of all those ingredients. It’s scary and exciting combining all the things together to make a story, there’s always the worry that it won’t work but you keep working at it and believing that it will all come together eventually, and fortunately in this case, it did.

“A Home from Home” is being published as an e-book novella in four parts over the next few weeks starting with part one on Thursday 17th June, part two follows on the 31st May, part three on 14th June and the final part on 28th June.



A Home from home – Part 1
Norfolk, 1944

Phylly is a Land Girl on Catchetts Farm. She and her friend Gracie are doing their bit to support the war effort. But times are changing at Catchetts -there’s an evacuee and two POWs on their way... And then Phylly meets and American airmen from the base of the road.




Where to find Rosie Hendry online
Twitter @hendry_rosie

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for letting me come and visit again. I’m thrilled you love the East End Angels so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most welcome my lovely! Wishing you a wonderful publication day! H x

      Delete