Tuesday 27 December 2011

OK, so how did I do?

Well, the end of the year looms and it is time to look back, reflect and think about those all important 'writing resolutions' I made almost 12months ago. Overall I think I have achieved quite a lot of what I planned.

3 'writing diary' entries a week were the first suggestion I made and I have managed that for 50 out of 52 weeks - not bad.

Competition entries - yes - even reaching final judging stage for one and two short stories published on Shortbread.

The blog has been regularly updated and Country Notes articles published locally.

Attending at least one literary event has not come to fruition although I have, and still am, enrolled on a wonderful creative writing course so, in my mind, that makes up for it.

The final and most important entry was: first draft of novel completed by Christmas 2011. Any regular readers will know this has not happened and that I shelved the novel at around 77,000 words. However, as my tutor reassures me; how many published authors still have that very first manuscript languishing in a drawer or on a memory stick? I have not failed - I have simply writtten myself through a very steep larning curve and now feel all the more prepared for the second attempt!

So, all in all, I think I can hold my head high and feel proud of my writing achievements for 2011 don't you? Roll on 2012! Happy New Year to you all!

H-J

1 comment:

  1. Hi there, thanks for your comment on my blog and for becoming my first follower!! I've been hoping to connect with other writers. In answer to your question, I haven't read Rebecca yet - I've wanted to for a long time but for some reason there's always been something I'd rather read instead but I'm determined to read it because I'm sure I'll love it. Congratulations on your writing achievements this year, they're all fantastic even the shelved novel. At the end of the day, it's still a novel! Here's to a successful 2012!!

    ReplyDelete