Friday 22 June 2012

A Well Timed Trip

This week has been something of a corker, exhausting but not a complete loss creatively speaking.

Dead Man's Tree worked its way back up to the number 1 spot on Shortbread again and the target number of pages of the novel have been duly edited. I have found the first edit an interesting experience and realised yesterday, as I reached the final thirty or so pages, that there is a sense of urgency in the writing as the story reaches its climax. It feels almost as if I was typing as quickly as I read when heading for a monumental moment in a short story or novel. The ending also feels less polished than the previous chapters. I have seen the fnish line as it were and have bowled straight for it!

Yesterday was a highlight - a year group trip to the Sainsbury Centre For Visual Arts in Norwich. I have lived near for Norwich for over a decade now and am ashamed to say this was my first visit but it will not be my last. Of course it was not easy to take eveything in with an excited group of ten year olds in my care but I could see there were a wealth of creative writing opportunities at every turn. The people working there were as interesting as the works of art they care for and many of the sculptures themselves felt almost alive to me...ripe for the realms of fantasy story writing!

Later this morning I shall be attending my third creative writing course session. I have a piece of 'homework' to present called When I Hear Him Whistle. I will submit it to Shortbread over the weekend and include it on the blog as well. It is only a short piece, poignant and rather sad. I would love to know what you make of it.

H-J

No comments:

Post a Comment