Sunday 29 March 2015

The pleasure and pain of proofreading

The Easter school holidays are already upon us and I for one couldn't be more ready! Term for me actually finished at 3pm last Wednesday and I arrived home to a package I've been fantasising about receiving for the last 30 years.

Ever since, as an impressionable preteen, I watched Kathleen Turner in Romancing the Stone, sitting in her apartment and then delivering her manuscript to her publisher, I've craved a padded envelope full of pages secured with an elastic band and on Wednesday I got one! My daydreams never featured the film storyline. I was far more in love with the role of the author and the process of seeing my ideas become words and in turn, those words become books and now I am living my dream!



Proofreading The Cherry Tree Cafe was an absolute joy. There were few corrections and I was enthralled to see my work set out as actual, proper pages. I was also, and please don't take this as arrogance, thrilled with the story. It has been quite a while since I read it and I thoroughly enjoyed it. In fact, I found it hard to believe that I had written it and although I was delighted to be so pleased, it did leave me wondering, can I do it all again? Yes folks, Second book syndrome has struck but I'm determined to beat it and am looking forward to immersing myself in a brand new story.

Wishing you all a wonderful week.

H x

No comments:

Post a Comment