Saturday 4 September 2021

Happy September!

 Hello my loves! How are you all? 

I hope this post finds you safe and well and ready for the arrival of autumn which seems keen to put in an early appearance this year. We're forecast a few hot days here in Norfolk next week, but I think that will be it and then we can pull out those chunky knits and hot chocolates! I can't wait.

Today I've been wearing the woodland print shirt from Sainsbury's that I got last year. I didn't wear it much before because of a sizing issue, but my mum, who happens to be a whizz at sewing, shortened the sleeves for me and I'm loving it all over again.

There's an autumnal flavour to my journal spread for this month too. I avoided using orange as that's an October staple as far as I'm concerned, but the green and red works really well for the end of summer vibe. What do you think?

I know lots of you said you were going to start a journal this year. How are you getting on with it? I hope you're enjoying the process as much as I am.

If you're a subscriber to my newsletter, you'll already get my monthly book recommendations, but if you're not, I thought I'd add a couple here. I get to read so much fabulous fiction, that I want to shout about it from the rooftops and at every opportunity.

I might have mentioned this one before, but it's so good, I thought I'd give you a reminder to get your order in. THE SECRETS OF HAWTHORN PLACE by Jenni Keer publishes on October 14th and right now the Ebook is only 99p.

Two houses, hundreds of miles apart . . . yet connected always.

When life throws Molly Butterfield a curveball, she decides to spend some time with her recently widowed granddad, Wally, at Hawthorn Place, his quirky Victorian house on the Dorset coast.

But cosseted Molly struggles to look after herself, never mind her grieving granddad, until the accidental discovery of an identical Arts and Crafts house on the Norfolk coast offers her an unexpected purpose, as well as revealing a bewildering mystery.

Discovering that both Hawthorn Place and Acacia House were designed by architect Percy Gladwell, Molly uncovers the secret of a love which linked them, so powerful it defied reason.

What follows is a summer which will change Molly for ever . . .

Order the book

Next up, is the brand new paperback release and latest book in the Dr Ruth Galloway series by Elly Griffiths. I'm absolutely addicted to this series and have them all in paperback. THE NIGHT HAWKS was every bit as compulsive a read as the rest.

If you haven't read any of them before, I recommend starting at the beginning with THE CROSSING PLACES

The Night Hawks, a group of metal detectorists, are searching for buried treasure when they find a body on the beach in North Norfolk. At first Nelson thinks that the dead man might be an asylum seeker but he turns out to be a local boy, Jem Taylor, recently released from prison. Ruth is more interested in the treasure, a hoard of Bronze Age weapons. Nelson at first thinks that Taylor's death is accidental drowning, but a second death suggests murder.

Nelson is called to an apparent murder-suicide of a couple at the isolated Black Dog Farm. Local legend talks of the Black Shuck, a spectral hound that appears to people before they die. Nelson ignores this, even when the owner's suicide note includes the line, 'He's buried in the garden.' Ruth excavates and finds the body of a giant dog.

All roads lead back to this farm in the middle of nowhere, but the place spells serious danger for anyone who goes near. Ruth doesn't scare easily. Not until she finds herself at Black Dog Farm ...

Buy the book

So, that's it for now. If you would like to hear more from me, including any exclusive news, access to my monthly writing prompt and author Q and A, then do sign up to the newsletter using the box to the right of this post.

Until next time, take care of yourselves and each other.

Hugs

H x

No comments:

Post a Comment