Monday 8 August 2011

Keep it...you never know when it'll come in handy...

Busy, busy week and well over the 70,000 word count on the novel now but sometimes I just need a break - not a complete one - just a change of tempo, flow, scene, atmosphere, call it what you will.

My current 'break' has been in the guise of the next short story for Shortbread. The story is all there in my head and some of it is even in my Shortbread draft folder but I just can't seem to make it happen, not how I want it to anyway. The words keep coming out but unfortunately not in the right order! This evening, as I began to despair that it was never going to happen and I was preparing to hit the delete button I logged off and sought out alternative 'entertainment'... and I found it!

Launguishing in a long forgotten folder on my computer I found the 'bare bones' of another story I had been thinking about entering in a competition a few months ago. I read it, re-read it and then began to edit and the words just seemed to flow. Before I knew it I had something new and fresh to work on knowing that I still had the other story on the back burner for another day.

...and the moral of the tale is: never, ever hit the delete button because you never know when it'll come in handy...

1 comment:

  1. I often have two books on the go and enjoy reading all the more because of the contrast in styles/genre. The same could be said of writing. Have at least two projects to turn to and make them chalk and cheese-ish. I rarely practice what I preach though...pass me the chutney will ya?

    ReplyDelete