Well, as regular followers will know I have been absent without leave for a week or so and I can't honestly say that I feel any better for it. Don't get me wrong, the freedom of enjoying a week at home with no committments beyond washing a few dishes has been most welcome but it hasn't done much for my creativity!
For the last two days I have tried to get back into the editing flow but it has not been easy. A colleague has kindly taken up the challenge of reading the mansucript and so yesterday I printed off the first two chapters only to discover a thousand and one things that needed changing! I had been warned that looking at the novel on paper would be very different to 'on screen' and never has a truer word been spoken!
What I should have done is file away the paperwork but I didn't. I began trawling through, crossing out, adding and generally fiddling which all added up to a restless night and an agitated husband. So, new plan - edit entire novel on screen (again), print each chapter and file it away. The seal will only be broken when I have the manuscript completely printed and then I will begin the 'paper edit' not before!
My husband very patiently reminded me last night that this is my first completed novel and that I shouldn't be too hard on myself, frustration is all part of the process and of course he is right, but I must admit I had expected to face a learning curve not the Himalayan equivalent!