Saturday 22 March 2014

The thing(s) that must not be named

Rather than rant on and tell you what a horrible week I've had and chronicle each and every damn thing that has gone wrong I've decided it would be best not to. Although cathartic for me it would doubtless be tedious for you and I appreciate the fact that you have taken a couple of minutes out of your busy day to have a look at my blog so, I'll focus on the good and leave the bad and ugly to fester in the corner by itself.

One of the many exciting things about writing a novel I think, is the research. Justified hours spent in the library running fingers along shelves, turning pages and making notes. Even better is the practical stuff where you have to test some of the things your characters are up to for yourself to make sure they are actually 'do-able'!



I spent much of Tuesday in the Forum in Norwich looking at patterns and techniques for making bunting, scrutinising a plethora of yummy cupcake recipes and studying the fascinating world of bees and how best to utilise their honey and wax. Next week I'll be learning how to make lip balm from beeswax but more about that in a few weeks...










This week my writing habits have also been punctuated by a literary school trip to celebrate World Poetry Day. Myself and a colleague took 10 children to a local workshop run by prolific children's poet Brian Moses. I'm not usually a writer of poetry but I came away with as many ideas in my notebook as the children did! As any avid scribbler will tell you; write it down and compost it, you never know when you'll need it!



And finally, the wheel of the year has turned to Ostara and so I have posted a poem to celebrate this most warmly welcomed season. Feel free to share with anyone you think might like it.



H-J







No comments:

Post a Comment